Text: Epistre Othea

The Letter of Othea


Overview

Found in:

  • BnF fr. 848
  • BL Harley MS 4431
  • BnF fr. 606
  • NE 74
  • NE 96
  • Chantilly MS 495
  • Chantilly MS 492
  • NE 341
  • NE 377
  • NE 562

  • Created in 1400-1401

    French

    Author: Christine de Pizan

    Translator: None


    Tags:

  • Allegory
  • Didactic
  • Female author
  • Mirror of Princes
  • Pedagogical
  • Poetry
  • Prose
  • Troy
  • Verse
  • Ownership Details

    BnF fr. 848 owned by Agnes of Burgundy, duchess of Bourbon (1424?-1476). Ownership Confirmed with Inscription as evidence.

    BnF fr. 848 owned by Nicolas Moreau (15??-1619). Ownership Confirmed with as evidence.

    BnF fr. 848 owned by Philip the Bold (c.1400-1404). Ownership Possible with as evidence.

    BL Harley MS 4431 owned by Anthony Woodville (1472 - 1483). Ownership Confirmed with as evidence.

    BL Harley MS 4431 owned by Isabel of Bavaria, queen of France (1414-1425). Ownership Confirmed with Patron Portrait as evidence.

    BL Harley MS 4431 owned by Jacquetta of Luxembourg, duchess of Bedford (1433/1435-1472). Ownership Confirmed with Inscription as evidence.

    BL Harley MS 4431 owned by John Duke of Bedford (1425-1433). Ownership Confirmed with as evidence.

    BnF fr. 606 owned by John Duke of Berry (1407?-1416). Ownership Confirmed with as evidence. Ownership Confirmed with as evidence.

    BnF fr. 606 owned by Marie of Berry, duchess of Bourbon (1416-1434?). Ownership Confirmed with Inventory as evidence.

    NE 74 owned by Anne of France, duchess of Bourbon (1483?-?). Ownership Possible with Inscription as evidence.

    NE 74 owned by Charlotte of Savoy, queen of France (? - December 1483). Ownership Confirmed with Inscription as evidence.

    NE 96 owned by Anne Wingfield Harling (? - 1498). Ownership Confirmed with Will as evidence.

    NE 96 owned by Thomas Howard, Lord Surrey (1498-?). Ownership Confirmed with as evidence.

    Chantilly MS 495 owned by Catherine of Coëtivy, lady of Magné (post-1485-1529). Ownership Confirmed with Coat of Arms as evidence.

    Chantilly MS 492 owned by Isabel of Bavaria, queen of France (1399/1403-1435?). Ownership Confirmed with Other (original) as evidence.

    NE 341 owned by Gabrielle de la Tour d'Auvergne, countess of Montpensier (14??-1474). Ownership Confirmed with Inventory as evidence.

    NE 377 owned by Gabrielle de la Tour d'Auvergne, countess of Montpensier (14??-1474). Ownership Confirmed with Inventory as evidence.

    NE 562 owned by Yolande of Valois, Duchess of Savoy (14??-1478). Ownership Confirmed with Inventory as evidence.



    Bibliography

    Arlima

    IHRT